Thursday, April 12, 2012

Travel the World

Mark Twain once said, “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” There are so many places to go and things to see in this world, and now is the time to do so. You only live once, and you are only young once. I believe that there is a lot I could learn if I just took the initiative to put myself outside of my comfort zone. I dream of traveling the world; but my fears, uncertainties, and doubts hinder my resolve. I think that if I could overcome these things and just pick up and go, I would encounter experiences that would change my outlook on life. 

The first place I would go would be Santorini, Greece. I don't know why, but I have always wanted to go there. It is beautiful, and I often feel inspired just looking at pictures. There is a famous quote that says "Not all who wander are lost." If I could go to Santorini, that would be my motto. I would love to leave my cell phone, laptop, and all my daily responsibilities behind and just lose myself in a foreign place. As a graphic designer, I think it would be amazing to see such a beautiful place. I would take the time to taste the food, meet the people, and be immersed in their culture. I think that stepping so far out of my daily routine would inspire me greatly. I could view things differently and I would be able to incorporate that into my designs.

Another place I would go is India. Not just because I have always wanted to go to India, because in all honesty I really haven't. I want to go because of the Holi Festival. It is an ancient holiday that  celebrates the triumph of good over bad. During the festival, people spread colorful powder all over each other and throw it in the air. The use of vibrant colors is nothing less than inspiring. I know that this experience would help me as a designer. Seeing how another culture uses color could teach me a lot. Besides the fact, I could take some pretty amazing pictures if I had the chance.
 
 I think that traveling is important because there really is a lot to experience out in the world, and if you never give yourself a chance to see it you may be limiting your creativity more than you realize. St. Augustine once said, "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." When you put it that way, it seems nonsensical to not travel. It is important to open yourself up to other places and cultures because there is so much you can learn. Being able to see things differently could be what stands between your work being extraordinary rather than mediocre.

No comments:

Post a Comment